Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see. In Episode 57 I sit down with Carly Taylor & James Aspey to talk about animal activism and talk about the importance of being patient, kind and understanding when communicating the ‘vegan’ message.
For those of you who may be more interested in the health aspects of a plant-based lifestyle, or perhaps see ‘vegan’s as extreme, I urge you to listen to this conversation – I think it just may give you a different view of veganism.
IN THIS EPISODE WE COVER:
- Carly’s personal story – where she grew up, what life was like, why she transitioned to a plant based diet and why veganism is so important to her
- Carly’s typical day on a plate
- Supplements Carly takes
- Carly’s idea of Pre-Vegans
- Strategy for talking to others about the ethics of veganism
- Human Rights, Mental Health, Animal Health/Rights and Planetary Health
- The idea of ‘humane’ slaughter, organic, free-range, cage-free etc
- Packaging of animal products on shelf & marketing angles
- Fuelling yourself on plants in 2019 – options for everyone (junk food versus whole food)
- Importance of the Lifestyle Medicine Doctor’s encouraging plant based nutrition
- A plethora of resources to refer to for more information & inspiration
- Plans James & Carly have for 2019 and beyond
- and much much more during this 2.5 hour conversation
*NOTE: although this podcast doesn’t go into as much detail about factory farming as my previous podcast with James Aspey when he shared his story, there is still some talk about what happens to animals. So with that in mind, perhaps one parents want to listen to first before deciding if it’s ok for their juniors to listen. I personally think there are so many powerful messages in this for our children to hear – whether via directly listening or being given a summary appropriate to their age and personality etc
James’ speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHOcox2lvQo
Gary Yourofsky’s speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4
Earthling Ed’s speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3u7hXpOm58
Erin Janus’ dairy video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcN7SGGoCNI
Kid friendly videos (Bite Size Vegan): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDEc87fomio&list=PLmIqdlomtuStMwQ9KWEE8Nn5GyK6vNqz2
Forks Over Knives: https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/
Plant Proof: Recipes Page
Assistance going vegan:
Forks Over Knives
What The Health
World Peace Diet
What a fish knows by Jonathan Balcombe
How Not to Die – Dr. Michael Greger
Proteinaholic – Dr. Garth Davis
And of course keep your eye out for the Plant Proof book I’m publishing with Penguin at the very start of 2020 (all profits being donated to charity)
Studies spoken about in the intro:
If you enjoyed the episode and have a spare 1-2 minutes please leave a review on iTunes so the Plant Proof podcast ranks higher and becomes more discoverable for other listeners. And if you have any friends that you think will benefit from listening to this episode or any of the other Plant Proof episodes please share the link – together we can make this world a healthier place.
WHERE TO LISTEN TO THE PLANT PROOF PODCAST?
Currently, the Plant Proof podcast can be listened to on iTunes, Google Podcasts (note: use the google podcast app not google play), Spotify, Stitcher, Soundcloud or on the Plantproof.com directly. If you listen on iTunes be sure to hit ‘subscribe’ or ‘follow’ on Spotify so you are instantly notified when I release new episodes each week.
Hope you enjoy the episode,