In Episode #57, I sat down with Carly Taylor and James Aspey to talk about animal activism and the importance of being patient, kind, and understanding when communicating the plant-based message. For those of you who may be more interested in the health aspects of a plant-based lifestyle, or perhaps see people following a plant-based lifestyle as extreme, I urge you to listen to this conversation – I think it just may give you a different view.
In this 2.5-hour episode, we cover strategies for talking to others about the ethics of a plant-based lifestyle; human rights, mental health, animal health and rights, and planetary health; the idea of ‘humane’ slaughter* – organic, free-range, cage-free, etc.; and the packaging and marketing of animal products. Listen for tips and inspiration on fuelling yourself with plants this year, with options for everyone (junk food versus whole food), and a plethora of resources to refer to for more information and inspiration.
*NOTE: Although this episode doesn’t go into as much detail about factory farming as my previous interview with James Aspey, there is still some talk about what happens to animals. With that in mind, parents might want to listen to this one first before deciding if it’s OK for young children to listen.
The best way to support the show is to use the products and services offered by our sponsors. To check them out, and enjoy great savings, visit theproof.com/friends.
- Youtube videos:
- James’s speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHOcox2lvQo
- Gary Yourofsky’s speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4
- Earthling Ed’s speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3u7hXpOm58
- Erin Janus’s dairy video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcN7SGGoCNI
- Kid friendly videos (Bite Size Vegan): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDEc87fomio&list=PLmIqdlomtuStMwQ9KWEE8Nn5GyK6vNqz2
- Forks Over Knives: https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/
- The Proof: Recipes Page
- Assistance going vegan:
- Netflix documentaries:
- Forks Over Knives
- What The Health
- The World Peace Diet
- Eternal Treblinka
- What a Fish Knows by Jonathan Balcombe
- How Not to Die by Dr Michael Greger
- Proteinaholic by Dr Garth Davis
- Activism resources:
- Studies spoken about in the intro: