In Episode 81 I sit down with Dr Will Bulsiewicz for Part 2 of the “Your Gut Health Questions” conversation that Will and I had while in New York. All of the topics that Dr B and I discuss were suggestions from the Plant Proof community – so firstly, thank you for contributing to this conversation by sending through such important questions. For those of you who are regular listeners you will have probably tuned into previous episodes (17, 71 & 80 ) with Dr B and therefore already know how much of a wealth of knowledge he is. Dr B is a Board Certified Gastroenterologist, having done over 16 years of medical training to become an expert in all things gut health. This is why he is perfectly positioned to help us navigate tricky gut health questions and clear up some of the confusion that exists on the internet.
In this episode we cover a lot of really interesting gut health topics (below). What’s great about this episode, and all episodes with Dr B, is that throughout the conversation he refers to the clinical science to provide evidence for his recommendations:
- The Ketogenic diet, including a vegan Keto Diet, and it’s likely affect on the gut
- Dairy, probiotics, prebiotics (lactose) & gut health
- Consuming whey protein with caution
- Interpreting science & understanding points of relativity
- Intermittent fasting
- Intermittent fasting as a tool for IBS
- Prolonged juice or water fasting
- Probiotics and gut health
- Bloating – what’s normal and what does it mean?
- Breakfast & gut health
- How long before going to bed should your last meal be?
- Smoothies &/or juices for children
- Breastfeeding, infant gut health including the role of human oligosaccharides
- Donor milk & infant formula
- Antibiotics and gut health – how to minimise their damage
- Should we avoid gluten?
- What are dangers of eliminating gluten if you are not intolerant?
- Wheat sensitivity vs gluten sensitivity – have we over diagnosed gluten intolerance?
- Should we be scared of phytate’s & anti-nutrients
- Benefits of soaking oats
- Alcohol and the microbiome
- and much more
If you haven’t left a review for the show on iTunes yet and have 1-2 minutes it would be greatly appreciated. The reviews ultimately help the show reach more people – and that’s what inspires me to continue bringing you more episodes (it tells me that people are actually enjoying the show and the messages are not falling on deaf ears haha).
Plant Proof X Journey Retreat
In case you are looking for a week away – I have decided to host a second plant based retreat, limited to 40-50 guests, this year with Journey Retreats October 4-10 in Bali. For more information, or to reserve your spot, visit the Plant Proof X Journey Retreats booking page. The retreats are an incredible week – a mix of exercise, connecting with like minded people, guest speakers, cooking demonstrations, delicious plant based meals and snacks, massages and plenty of down time to relax by the pool or explore the local area.
WHERE ELSE TO LISTEN:
Currently, the Plant Proof podcast can be listened to on iTunes, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher, If you listen on iTunes be sure to hit ‘subscribe’ or ‘follow’ on Spotify so you are instantly notified when I release new episodes each week.
Hope you enjoy the episode,