In Episode 109 I sit down with lawyer and Co-Founder of the Good Food Institute Bruce Friedrich to talk about two solutions to the current problems with our food system: these solutions being plant based meat and cultivated or ‘cell-based’ meat.
In this episode we specifically talk about:
- What’s wrong with the current food system and how it is impacting human health, planetary health and animal welfare
- Specifics on climate change, COVID-19, antibiotic resistance, production inefficiencies and food security
- What plant based and cultivated meats are
- Specifics related to bio mimicking meat using cells collected via biopsy
- Where these industries are currently and the projections
- The companies leading the way in these industries
- Why major meat companies are investing into this space
- Barriers to entry
- When we can expect to see cell based meat on shelf
- How these types of products are likely to be perceived by customers
- and much more
If you’re a regular listener you will know I prefer to do these conversations in person. I apologise in advance for slightly tinny audio from Bruce’s end – the recording software is a bit hit and miss compared to when you are in the same room! Nonetheless it’s certainly not the worst audio I have heard and the information is tremendously insightful.
Support the show
The single best way you can support the show is by leaving a review on Apple podcast app – it only takes a few minutes and would be much appreciated.
WHERE ELSE TO LISTEN:
Currently, the Plant Proof podcast can be listened to on iTunes, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher, If you listen on iTunes be sure to hit ‘subscribe’ or ‘follow’ on Spotify so you are instantly notified when I release new episodes each week.
Hope you enjoy the episode,