To bring in the new year I thought it would be good to take a moment and consolidate some of the memorable moments, and key takeaways, from 2022.
In Episode #241, part 1 of a 2 part year in review, we traverse how to think about nutrition so we can better make sense of claims online, diet and cardiometabolic health, how you can flip the switch on your microbiome so the trillions of gut bugs in your large intestine reward you with better health, and the benefits up for grabs through consuming our food over less hours – otherwise known as time restricted eating or fasting.
Guests featured include Dr Gil Carvhalo, Dr Richard Johnson, Dr Alan Flanagan, Danny Lennon, Dr David Jenkins, Dr Justin Sonnenburg, Dr Erica Sonnenburg, Dr Christopher Gardner, Dr Tim Spector, Dr Don Layman, Dr Valter Longo, Dr Stuart Phillips, Dr Satchin Panda and Dr Courtney Peterson.
Specifically, we cover:
- Intro (00:00)
- Circadian Disruption is a Problem with Dr. Satchin Panda (01:59)
- Fasting & weight loss with Dr. Courtney Peterson (08:26)
- Optimal fasting window with Dr. Satchin Panda (15:49)
- Nutrition science claims with Dr Gil Carvalho (36:49)
- Diet & metabolic health with Dr. Richard Johnson (51:32)
- Cholesterol & CVD with Dr Alan Flanagan and Danny Lennon (57:22)
- Lowering cholesterol with Dr. David Jenkins (1:14:06)
- Gut microbiome with Drs. Erica and Justin Sonnenburg (1:24:44)
- Fibre & inflammation with Dr. Sonnenburg and Dr. Gardner (1:32:43)
- Fermented foods (1:49:35)
- Building microbiome diversity with Drs. Erica and Justin Sonnenburg (1:50:26)
- Simple dietary advice with Dr Tim Spector (1:55:57)
- Muscle & metabolic health with Dr. Donald Layman (1:58:34)
- Aging pathways with Dr. Valter Longo (2:07:24)
- Muscle & aging with Drs. Stuart Phillips and Christopher Gardner (2:14:48)
- Outro (2:20:11)
- Episode #221 with Dr Satchin Panda
- Episode #232 with Dr Courtney Peterson
- Episode #207 with Dr Gil Carvhalo
- Episode #233 with Dr Richard Johhson
- Episode #231 with Dr Alan Flanagan & Danny Lennon
- Episode #216 with Dr David Jenkins
- Episode #202 with Dr Erica Sonnenburg & Dr Justin Sonnenburg
- Episode #191 with Dr Justin Sonnenburg & Dr Christopher Gardner
- Episode #224 with Dr Tim Spector
- Episode #236 with Dr Don Layman
- Episode #237 with Dr Valter Longo
- Episode #228 with Dr Stuart Phillips & Dr Christopher Gardner
I hope you find this episode helpful for consolidating some of the key learnings from 2022.
Part 2 of the year in review will be released next week with a focus on exercise, planetary health and more.
The best way to support the show is to use the products and services offered by our sponsors. To check them out, and enjoy great savings, visit theproof.com/friends.
You can also purchase a copy of my brand new Plant-Based Ferments recipe book.
Happy new year.