In Episode #59, I sat down with Dr Renae Thomas, MD, a physician working in Loma Linda, California, one of the ‘Blue Zone’ areas that display incredible longevity and high quality of life. This is a really important podcast: sometimes in nutritional science, we can become too reductionist and zoom in on potential mechanisms without appreciating the complexities of human beings. Observational data from people displaying longevity, happiness, and a high quality of life serve as a reminder that sometimes we need to zoom out and look to those who are living proof of what it means to be healthy.
The best way to support the show is to use the products and services offered by our sponsors. To check them out, and enjoy great savings, visit theproof.com/friends.
- Blue Zones website and books
- Renae’s website
- AHS population studies:
- Vegetarian diets in the Adventist Health Study 2: a review of initial published findings
- Vegetarian Dietary Patterns and Mortality in Adventist Health Study 2
- Beyond meatless, the health effects of vegan diets: findings from the Adventist cohorts.
- Vegetarian diets and incidence of diabetes in the Adventist Health Study-2
- From the Intro:
- Importance of microbiome diversity