In Episode 42 I caught up with Pro Surfer and Vegan mother Alana Blanchard in Kauai, Hawaii. From just 8 years old Alana had a dream and dedicated her life to turning it into reality.
In this episode we cover:
- What Alana’s childhood in Kauai was like
- Where she likes to surf in kauai
- What kinds of food she ate as a kid
- Her dream to become a Pro Surfer from around age 8 and who she was inspired by
- Home schooling
- Her relationship with Bethany Hamilton and what they were like as kids
- The shark attack incident & how that affected her
- The movie Soul Surfer that covered Bethany & Alana’s story and meeting Jack Nicholson
- Bethany’s journey to getting back in the water and learning to surf again
- Bethany’s new documentary ‘Unstoppable’ covering her life story
- Sharks and if Alana ever fears them
- Scariest waves she has surfed
- What being a PRO surfer means and how they earn an income
- Her favourite surf break
- Why she follows a plant based diet and what vegan pillars are important to her
- Her typical day of eating
- What her partner Jack Freestone (also a PRO surfer) eats
- Her pregnancy experience as a vegan:what she ate, what food aversions she had and what she supplemented with
- How receptive Doctor’s were during her pregnancy to the way she was eating
- What resources she used to help her during her pregnancy including Dr Michael Klapper
- How her baby son Banks is doing and her experience breast-feeding
- Tips for increasing breastmilk supply
- How long she plans to breastfeed
- Banks’ weight and how he is developing
- How she plans to explain to Banks why he doesn’t eat animal products when he’s older
- What Alana & Jack plan to feed Banks when he starts eating solids
- What she thinks of social media and how she handles the attention
- What Alana thinks of the Gold coast where her partner Jack is from and will they stay in Hawaii or move to Australia.
- and SO much more
Connect with Alana on Instagram
If you enjoyed the episode and have a spare 1-2 minutes please leave a review on iTunes so the Plant Proof podcast ranks higher and becomes more discoverable for other listeners. And if you have any friends that you think will benefit from listening to this episode or any of the other Plant Proof episodes please share the link – together we can make this world a healthier place.
WHERE TO LISTEN TO THE PLANT PROOF PODCAST?
Currently, the Plant Proof podcast can be listened to on iTunes, Google Podcasts (note: use the google podcast app not google play), Spotify, Stitcher, Soundcloud or on the Plantproof.com directly. If you listen on iTunes be sure to hit ‘subscribe’ or ‘follow’ on Spotify so you are instantly notified when I release new episodes each week.
Hope you enjoy the episode,