In Episode 71 I sit down with one of the pioneers of Lifestyle Medicine, Dr Dean Ornish. Dr Ornish is most well known for the Randomised Controlled Trial ‘The Lifestyle Heart Trial’ where he was able to show that cardiovascular disease could not just be halted in its tracks, but in many cases, actually reversed. In this exchange, that took place in Sausalito at Dean’s office, we talk about why we see such a high incidence of Chronic Disease in Western populations and the steps that you can take in order to genuinely take control of your health.
Specifically we cover:
- Dean’s personal life & pathway into Medicine
- His very first clinical trial
- The Lifestyle Heart Trial and what we can learn from the intervention and results
- What’s causing cardiovascular disease in the first place – why do some people refute the findings associating saturated fat & LDL cholesterol with cardiovascular disease?
- The Atkin’s, Keto & Paleo diets
- TMAO & cardiovascular disease
- Healthy eating habits – What Dr Dean Ornish uses clinically and believes is the healthiest human diet in the world
- Weight loss – what various approaches fail to address
- Joy of living versus fear of dying
- His research on Alzheimer’s & lifestyle interventions
- and much more
Of course, if you loved the episode. Share your feedback on social media and tag Dean (@deanornishmd) and myself (@plant_proof) – we’d love to hear from you! And if you haven’t left a review for the show on iTunes yet and have 1-2 minutes it would be greatly appreciated. The reviews ultimately help the show reach more people – and that’s what inspires me to continue bringing you more episodes (it tells me that people are actually enjoying the show and the messages are not falling on deaf ears haha).
Currently, the Plant Proof podcast can be listened to on iTunes, Google Podcasts (note: use the google podcast app not google play), Spotify, Stitcher, Soundcloud or on the Plantproof.com directly. If you listen on iTunes be sure to hit ‘subscribe’ or ‘follow’ on Spotify so you are instantly notified when I release new episodes each week.
Hope you enjoy the episode,