In Episode 74 I sit down with Robby & Cyrus from Mastering Diabetes to chat about Diabetes (Type 1, 1a, Pre, and Type 2) and the role that nutrition plays on insulin resistance. We go through the body of scientific literature and explain what causes insulin resistance and how to actually reverse it.
Specifically we cover:
- Their personal journeys with Type 1 Diabetes
- Pathophysiology of Insulin Resistance
- Difference between low carb ketogenictype diets for Insulin Resistance and High Carb Low Fat diets
- Why Keto diets can promote insulin resistance (poorer ability to handle carbohydrates)
- What truly reversing insulin resistance actually means – specifically the the difference between reversing insulin resistance and managing blood glucose control
- Common diabetic complications and why reversing insulin resistance is so important
- Nutrition for reversing insulin resistance & diabetic complications (the practical stuff)
- and so much more
Strap yourselves in this is a long one (2.5 hours) but I guarantee by the end of it you will have learned so much about Diabetes and finally understand the mechanism that causes insulin resistance and how to reverse it and improve health outcomes. Not only is this understanding important for people with Diabetes but really anyone looking to better their health, particularly anyone who is overweight (millions of people have undiagnosed pre diabetes). Insulin resistance is a spectrum and eating to promote optimal glucose tolerance means you will be able to enjoy some of the most healthful food groups in the world associated with longevity.
Of course, if you loved the episode. Share your feedback on social media and tag Robby, Cryus (@masteringdiabetes) and myself (@plant_proof) – we’d love to hear from you! And if you haven’t left a review for the show on iTunes yet and have 1-2 minutes it would be greatly appreciated. The reviews ultimately help the show reach more people – and that’s what inspires me to continue bringing you more episodes (it tells me that people are actually enjoying the show and the messages are not falling on deaf ears haha).
Currently, the Plant Proof podcast can be listened to on iTunes, Google Podcasts (note: use the google podcast app not google play), Spotify, Stitcher, Soundcloud or on the Plantproof.com directly. If you listen on iTunes be sure to hit ‘subscribe’ or ‘follow’ on Spotify so you are instantly notified when I release new episodes each week.
Hope you enjoy the episode,