Ever wondered why you just can’t stop eating certain foods? Psychologist Tera Fazzino, PhD has the answer. Join me in Episode #298 to discover the science of hyper-palatable foods, how they’re making their way into your kitchen, and where they overlap with the tobacco industry in this insight-packed conversation.
“Almost 70% of the food supply in the United States is hyperpalatable.”
Dr Tera Fazzino is Assistant Professor of Psychology and Associate Director of the Cofrin Logan Center for Addiction Research and Treatment at the University of Kansas. Renowned for developing the first standardised definition of hyper-palatable foods, her work bridges clinical psychology and nutrition, making her an authoritative figure on the addictive nature of certain foods and their impact on obesity. Dr Fazzino’s insights are pivotal in understanding the challenges and solutions in our food environment, and she brings this knowledge to today’s conversation.
“…part of the problem of having an environment that is so saturated with these foods, is that they’re just so easy to get to… it’s the majority of our food supply.”
You’ll leave this episode with a better understanding of why hyper-palatable foods are so prevalent, what to look out for, and how you can better navigate the grocery store. Dr Fazzino also breaks down the policy-level change she would want to see to create a healthier food landscape for everyone.
Specifically, we discuss:
- Introduction to Hyperpalatable Foods and Brain Reward Systems (00:00)
- Exploring Brain Reward Mechanisms Triggered by Hyperpalatable Foods (02:45)
- The Influence of Hyperpalatable Foods on Brain Reward Functions (12:58)
- Food Addiction Explored: A Psychological or Physical Issue? (17:01)
- Identifying Susceptibility Factors in Food Addiction (20:59)
- The Impact of Mental Health on Consuming Hyperpalatable Foods (23:44)
- Comprehensive Analysis of Hyperpalatable Foods and Their Ingredients (26:38)
- The Critical Role of Sodium in Food Palatability Enhancement (30:27)
- Debating the Reduction of Sodium Consumption: Benefits and Challenges (35:26)
- The Intriguing Connection Between the Tobacco and Food Industries (45:52)
- Are All Ultra-Processed Foods Created Equal? A Critical Examination (58:24)
- Identifying Hyperpalatable Foods Commonly Found in Homes (1:04:48)
- Protein’s Interplay with Hyperpalatable Foods: A Detailed Study (1:09:39)
- Examining Caloric Intake and Overeating Tendencies with Hyperpalatable Foods (1:16:48)
- Unveiling the Hidden Mechanics of Hyperpalatability: Satisfaction vs. Energy Density (1:19:18)
- Practical Strategies for Managing Hyperpalatable Food Consumption (1:22:59)
- Global Health Impacts of Hyperpalatable Foods: An In-Depth Review (1:28:39)
- Future Trends in Food Policy and Public Health Concerning Hyperpalatable Foods (1:33:18)
- Replacing Sugar with Artificial Non-Nutritive Sweeteners: Pros and Cons (1:41:11)
- Concluding Remarks on Hyperpalatable Foods and Health (1:44:14)
Thank you to Dr Tera Fazzino for joining us and sharing her invaluable insights in this episode. Her expertise sheds light on the complex world of hyper-palatable foods and their profound impact on our health and eating habits. I hope this conversation not only helps you understand the science behind food addiction but also empowers you with practical knowledge to make healthier choices in your daily life.
This episode is brought to you by:
If you want to improve your health, you need to measure where you’re currently at. InsideTracker analyses up to 48 blood biomarkers including ApoB, LDL, HDL, A1C, and more before giving you advice to optimise your health. Get a 20% discount on your first order at insidetracker.com/simon.
Eimele Essential 8 is a comprehensive multivitamin that is scientifically formulated to complement your plant-rich diet, increase and sustain your energy, support the immune system, as well as heart and brain health. Head to Eimele.com and use code SIMON at checkout for 10% off your first order.
Consider 38TERA’s DMN-01 prebiotic supplement a daily multivitamin for your gut. Formulated by yours truly and gastroenterologist Dr Will Bulsiewicz. Use code THEPROOF for a discount at checkout.
Shopify, the world’s leading e-commerce platform, helps you turn browsers into buyers with the internet’s best-converting checkout–up to 36% better compared to other leading ecommerce platforms. To boost your conversion rate, and grow your business, sign up for a one-dollar-per-month trial period at shopify.com/proof.
People all over the world are using Reveri to quit smoking, gain control over other addictions, reduce physical pain, feel more relaxed, and improve their mental health. The Proof community members can use Reveri for 30 days free with a guest pass. Just visit reveri.com/theproof to redeem.
Whoop, the most advanced fitness and health wearable available. Your personalised fitness and health coach to recover faster, sleep better, and train smarter. Claim your first month free on join.whoop.com/simon.
More about Tera Fazzino, PhD
Dr Tera Fazzino is Assistant Professor of Psychology and Associate Director of the Cofrin Logan Center for Addiction Research and Treatment at the University of Kansas. She is a behavioural psychologist who conducts scientific research on obesity, highly rewarding foods, and addiction processes. Her work has contributed to the fields of clinical psychology, public health, and nutrition epidemiology. She developed the first standardized definition of hyper-palatable foods, which have commonalities with other substances such as alcohol and nicotine.