In Episode 95 I sit down with Whitney English, Registered Dietician, to talk about plant-based nutrition during pregnancy, infancy and breastfeeding (lactation). Whitney, along with her partner Alex (also a Registered Dietician), are the founders of Plant Based Juniors – an online resource that brings evidence based nutrition information specific to these stages of life to the public.
Specifically in this episode we cover:
- Benefits of a plant-based diet during pregnancy and infancy
- Position of the American Dietetics Association (ADA)
- Specific nutrients of focus during pregnancy including recommendations for supplementation
- Specific nutrients of focus during breastfeeding including recommendations for supplementation
- Breast milk versus formula and different formula options
- Specific nutrients of focus during infancy including recommendations for supplementation
- Introducing solids
- Picky eaters
- and much more
This is an episode I have wanted to do for a couple of years now. It’s quite a comprehensive conversation so if it’s a topic that’s very relevant to you I highly recommend grabbing a pen and paper and listening in a quite comfortable space without distractions.
- American Dietetic Association position for vegan diets during pregnancy and infancy
- Plant Based Juniors on Instagram
- PB3 Plate
- Predominately Plant-Based Pregnancy Guide
- First Bites – Baby Led Weaning Guide
- Plant Proof Newsletter Sign Up – When my book comes out I am going to use this newsletter a lot more with loads of free information each month to help you better optimise your diet.
PLANT PROOF RETREAT:
For more information on the Plant Proof X Journey Retreat which has been moved to October in Bali please visit here. The retreats are an incredible week – a mix of exercise, connecting with like-minded people, guest speakers, cooking demonstrations, delicious plant-based meals and snacks, massages and plenty of downtime to relax by the pool or explore the local area.
You can now find Plant Proof GIFs on Instagram. When posting your story simply swipe up, click GIFs and then search Plant Proof. They are free and simply a bit of fun!
WHERE ELSE TO LISTEN:
Currently, the Plant Proof podcast can be listened to on iTunes, Google Podcasts, Spotify or Stitcher, If you listen on iTunes be sure to hit ‘subscribe’ or ‘follow’ on Spotify so you are instantly notified when I release new episodes each week.
Please leave a review on the Apple Podcast App:
Finally, if you are enjoying the show and can take a minute or so to leave a review on the Apple podcast app it would be much appreciated.
Thanks for tuning in friends. I appreciate all of you.