With the end of summer approaching, tuck into this comforting Vegan Cottage Pie that is warm, filling, and nutritious. Perfect for a rainy day or for a dinner amongst friends or family.
- 300 g Adzuki bean tempeh or 1 can of adzuki beans
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 celery sticks
- 2 carrots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- bunch Thyme
- 1 tbsp Vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup peas
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 cup vegan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- In a frying pan with olive oil, sautee onions, garlic, carrots and celery until soft and fragrant.
- Crumble in tempeh (or add in can of adzuki beans) and stir well. Add the can of tomatoes and stock and keep on the heat until cooked through and liquid has reduced. Next, add the peas
- In a separate saucepan, boil water with a dash of salt, add chopped sweet potatoes and boil until soft.
- Once potatoes are cooked, drain the water and return them to the pan. Using a masher, mash the potato to a smooth texture. If you'd like an extra smooth consistency, feel free to add a tad of olive oil or vegan butter spread or a dash of dairy-free milk.
- Pour the tempeh mix in a baking dish. Layer on the sweet potato mash and smooth it out.
- Sprinkle on cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven until the cheese is melted and golden!
- Serve with a simple side salad
What are you waiting for? I’m daring Spoil your friends and family (and yourself too!) to this healthy but comforting vegan Cottage Pie. And, if you do make this delightful dish, please tag @plant_proof #plantproof on Instagram so I can see your creation and share with our growing community to inspire healthy food choices globally.