With the start of winter approaching, it’s time to tuck into something warm & hearty like this delicious, healthy Massaman Curry. The tempeh gives this dish a protein boost and blends perfectly with the curry which is bursting with flavor and spices. Give this one a go – it won’t disappoint!
My favourite thing about this recipe is that unlike many of the store-bought curry pastes, this one is actually healthy and easy to make. I like making this curry in advance and simply reheat thoroughly whenever I’m feeling like something rich and tasty. If you want to make this curry a tad lighter, opt for light coconut milk and skip the oil. Serve with plenty of fresh coriander and dig in!
- 1 pack Organic Village Chickpea Tempeh cubed
- 1 can coconut milk
- 6 small potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cardamom pods
- ¼ cup crushed peanuts
- 1 cup vegetable stock
Massaman curry paste
- 1 stick of lemon grass
- 4 red chillis
- 2 inch piece of ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 shallots
- coriander stalks
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of rice cook according to instructions
- poppadom’s cook according to instructions
- red chillies sliced
- Add all curry paste ingredients into a blender and blitz well until a paste-like consistency.
- Heat a large saucepan with a little oil and cook the paste for 3 minutes and then add the coconut milk, stock, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, peanuts and potatoes.
- In a frying pan with a little oil, fry the cubes of tempeh until golden (this step is optional, you can add straight to the dish but this gives it a little more texture) Once golden add straight into the curry.
- Keep on medium heat until potatoes have cooked through.
- Serve with rice and garnish with plenty of coriander and chillies. For dipping and crunch also serve with poppadoms!
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag me @Plantproof in your creations!