Not only is this omelette entirely plant-based and egg-free, it’s also delicious and packed with minerals, vitamins, protein and fibre. You can get creative with the filling and use any veggies you have on hand, then drizzle it all in this mouthwatering garlic sauce.
For the Garlic Sauce (makes approximately 1 ¼ cups – use for other recipes)
- 6 Cloves garlic chopped (for extra flavour, roast the garlic first!)
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- 60 ml Aquafaba (tinned chickpea water)
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice or ACV
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp Cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp Mustard (optional)
For the Filling:
- 1/2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 Red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup peas
- 150 g Mushrooms sliced
- 150 g Spinach leaves
- Salt & pepper to taste
For the Omelette
- 100 g Chickpea (aka Besan) flour
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan or Black Salt (Kala Namak)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 180ml + 2 tbsp (30ml) Plant milk
- 1/2 tbsp Olive oil or olive oil spray for cooking
- Micro herbs, green salad, to serve
Start with the Sauce
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend on high for 10-20 seconds to create a fluffy, garlic sauce.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- In a small pan over a medium heat, add the oil and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes until soft and aromatic.
- Add the peas and mushrooms for two minutes. Remove from heat and add the spinach, stirring to combine..
- Season and set aside.
Make the Omelette
- Add the flour, nutritional yeast, spices, baking powder and salt into a bowl, mixing to combine.
- Make a well in the centre and add the milk and mustard, stirring until a batter forms.
- Heat the oil in a shallow frying pan, over a medium heat.
- Spoon a ladle of the batter into the pan, swirling the pan in a circular motion, so it spreads evenly across the base .
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown on the bottom.
- Add the filling to the middle of the batter, then fold in half over the filling using a spatula.
- Serve immediately, with a side of salad or roast veggies as desired, drizzled with a few tablespoons of the creamy garlic sauce. Store the rest in a jar for later use.
- Sprinkle over fresh micro herbs for extra flavour.