Plant Proof Chilli Scramble
Finding it hard to go 100% plant-based because you love eggs so much? Try this the delicious Plant Proof Tofu Scramble – offering a delicious scrambled ‘egg’ experience with all the health benefits of a wholefood plant-based diet!
So nutritionally speaking, how does Tofu Scramble stack up against Egg Scramble?
In place of the egg, I use Smoked Firm Tofu (Non GMO of course) and season it with delicious herbs and spices to create a really mouth watering experience. One of my favourites is Earnest Bean Co Smoked Tofu. This is a staple breakfast for me (also makes a good lunch) if you were/are a big scramble egg eater and want to leave that life behind you. It’s also an amazing dish to cook up on weekends for friends and family – another perfect introductory dish to show people just how delicious plant-based foods are. In this recipe I have the scrambled tofu on a vegan bagel, however you can get creative and do things like breakfast burritos/tacos, or naked burrito/buddha bowls (if you don’t want any bread) by using the same tofu scramble recipe.
- 1 Can Black Beans Organic where possible
- 1 300g Smoked Tofu Must be Non GMO/Organic
- 1 Handful Cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Turmeric
- 1/2 Avocado
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil Extra virgin (can substitute for water to reduce calories)
- Fresh Chilli Chopped (as desired)
- 1 Bunch Chives (or coriander)
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tbsp Fresh Ginger
- 1 bunch Spring Onion (shallots)
- 1 tbsp Sunflower Seeds
- Making the Chilli Tofu Scramble
- Pull the tofu apart with your fingers into very small bits and then place in a bowl with the cumin, turmeric and olive oil.
- Lightly pan fry chopped Spring Onion (shallots), garlic & ginger.
- Place the beans in a pot and heat. Once hot, throw in the prepared tofu and chilli and stir in for 2-3 min until they are also hot.
- Just before turning the stove off add in the cherry tomatoes for a minute.
- Toast the bagel (or make your Mung Bean wrap) and then cover with the scramble tofu mix. Top with avocado, cashew cheese, coriander and lightly pan fried sunflower seeds.
- 3-5 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast I like the brand Bragg's
- 1/4 Cup Chickpea Miso Paste
- 1 Cup Soaked Cashews (overnight) If you forget to soak you can boil for 10 minutes
- 2-3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder & Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Pink Sea Salt & Pepper Add more to taste
- 1/4 Cup Water Add to your desire. This gets added in during blending. Less for a thicker cheese and more for a runnier consistency.
- Place all dry ingredients into a food processor and pulse until broken up.
- Stop and scrape the cashews down from the side of the food processor.
- Then, turn the food processed back on, this time on ‘blend’ mode, and drizzle in water with food processor until the cashew cheese is at your desired consistency.
Want to lower the calories per serve in this Chilli Scramble or looking at this as more of a snack? Removing the half bagel drops off around 125 calories. You could easily substitute that for more greens to provide bulk and more dietary fibre on your plate.
Not convinced about tofu and soy? Read this
Made a Plant Proof recipe? Upload to Instagram and tag #plantproofrecipe @plant_proof in your post so I can see your creation!