A tasty blend of tempeh, pomegranate, fennel and couscous make this colourful salad super filling and loaded with protein and fibre. If you love quick, filling and healthy salads with a balance of tart and crunchy, this is the one for you.
This salad is low in saturated fat, high in protein, packed with vitamin C and absolutely delicious!
Go on and make it and tag @plant_proof #plantproof on Instagram so I can see your creation and share with our growing community to inspire healthy food choices globally!
- 300 g tempeh
- 5 tsp ras el hanout spice mix
- 250 g pearl couscous
- 1 brown onion chopped fine
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 lemon
- 1 pomegranate seeded
- 1 cucumber sliced thin with a mandolin
- ½ cup natural sliced almonds roasted until brown
- 1 tbsp Olive oil (or sub water/veggie broth if oil-free)
- Salt and pepper
- Slice block of tempeh into 1cm thick slices.
- Sprinkle over 2-3 tsp of ras el hanout.
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Place on a lined baking tray.
- Cut fennel bulb in half.
- With a mandolin slice shave one half.
- Squeeze juice of ¼ of a lemon over shaved fennel and give a good mix, put to one side.
- Cut the remaining fennel in 1cm thick pieces.
- Place on a lined baking tray and drizzle with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place both tempeh and fennel into a moderate oven and bake until golden brown.
PEARL COUSCOUS INSTRUCTIONS
- Simply sauté onion in water/veggie broth or olive oil until golden brown.
- Add pearl couscous and stir until golden.
- Add 2 tsp ras el hanout and a pinch of salt and pepper and stir.
- Add vegetable stock, cover and let simmer for 8 – 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until cooked.
- Place in a bowl and squeeze over ½ lemon. And drizzle with olive oil.
- Using a large bowl mix together couscous, mint, half of the pomegranate, shaved fennel and cucumber until combined.
- Transfer onto a nice serving platter.
- Arrange roasted tempeh and fennel on top.
- Sprinkle over almonds and remaining pomegranate seeds.